Quotation

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that we cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. - Aeschylus

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Praying with Gospels: The Eyes of the Blind

Lord, I was born blind to Your physical form in this world,
unable to see You resurrected, Your earthly glory unfurled.
I was born into a world of sin, and I have added to the sins
of the world by my most grievous fault which ever begins
again the process of separating me from Your divine love.

Send me wherever You will, and I will go there to perform
whatever task You set for me; though Your two hands form
clay over my eyes, I trust in Your providence and will walk
confidently to the baptismal pool where others might balk,
and if You but say the word, Your servant shall be healed.

Please help me by Your grace to always choose Your love
over all else so that I may no longer be sin's willing slave,
tearing away all that separates me from Your communion
of love in the eternal heavenly glory of the Beatific vision,
the very imago dei viewed by those who die in Your Love.

Christ and the pauper.jpg
By Andrey Mironov - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30520270

Note:  This prayer is inspired by the occasion of Jesus' healing of the blind man recounted in the Gospel of John, as well as the Confiteor and another liturgical prayer my fellow Roman Catholics will recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment